Preparing For A Major Storm
Living in Florida, we are no strangers to major storms and hurricanes. Even so, it never hurts to be as prepared as possible when we find ourselves in the path of one. Here are a few guidelines we think everyone should go by in the event of a major storm.
- Create a three-day (at minimum) supply kit. Make sure it contains enough water, food, medication and any other items needed to last you and your family at least three days.
- Put away important paperwork and special belongings in water proof storage. Zip-locked bags or water proof boxes are great for this!
- Create a home emergency plan. This would be important to have in place if your home is at risk of flooding during the storm.
- It never hurts to board up windows and purchase sandbags to help protect the exterior of your home from heavy winds and rain.
- Make sure you stay tuned into weather stations for any important warnings that may be issued for your area.